Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Vegetables on the brain...

I have vegetables on the brain. It's weird... since starting this low-carb lifestyle I have learned to love and even crave vegetables. I eat them all the time. I saute them in the morning and add eggs to make a frittata, I pile them in a bowl with protein of some sort to make a salad for lunch. I was never a big vegetable girl but now I just can't seem to get enough.

I made Costco salmon patties for dinner last night. Mmm, they are so easy and delicious and they don’t have a lot of crap in them besides salmon. I was trying to think of what I should serve with them. I am bored with zucchini and asparagus right now. I wanted something different.

I usually put low-sodium soy sauce on my salmon patties which gave me an idea. I made something up on the fly and it ended up tasting like spring roll innards or something. Delicious. Both my husband AND my daughter ate it up, yum.

There are usually bags of shredded vegetables that I get at the grocery store in my refrigerator. They come in very handy for my lunch salads. If you get the vegetables pre-shredded this dish is a snap.

Spring Rolls without the Roll

½ tsp sesame oil
1 big handful of shredded cabbage
1 big handful of shredded broccoli slaw mix
1 big handful of shredded carrot
½ large onion, slivered
Low-sodium soy sauce
Toasted sesame seeds

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Throw in all the vegetables. Boil for 3-5 minutes then drain really well. Heat a non-stick pan coated with olive oil spray over medium high heat. Add sesame oil and roll it around to get good coverage. Once the pan is good and hot, throw in the drained vegetables. Stir fry until heated through. Splash with soy sauce to taste and sprinkle on sesame seeds. Toss around another minute then serve.

My daughter actually told me it was delicious and ate every bit I gave her without argument.

A miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment