Friday, October 7, 2011

Fall has fell...

Yay!  I don't need to pretend any more!  Fall is here!  Living where I do (Tacoma/Seattle area) many years we need to pretend it is summer.  We gamely wear our shorts and shortsleeved shirts while secretly freezing and wishing we could put on a purple and gold Husky Sweatshirt (University of Washington, for the uninitiated).  We bear the rain and use the grill while someone holds up a golf unbrella.  But it is September now so I don't need to tell myself it is warm enough to wear my capri pants.  I can hide my flabby arms under long sleeves.  Yay!

And with fall comes my favorite time of year to cook.  The fall vegetables are in, like squashes of every kind and the end of the corn season.  Eggplants and tomatoes and zucchini and garlic... oh yes.  I can make soups and stews and cook them a long time in my slow cooker.  My idea of fall food is spicy and warm, filling and satisfying.

My first instinct is to serve a lot of these stews and fricasees and whatnot over rice.  I always like to have something to soak up all the good juices.  Bread is important, too, excellent for dipping and sopping up extra sauce.  So I am in a quandry.  I eat neither rice nor bread.  I took a bunch of different ideas and devised my own recipe for short ribs which develops an amazing sauce.  Do I serve it in a bowl or just let the juice spread out all over the plate?  Do I lift the plate and slurp it that way?  No, it would end up all down the front of me, not to mention, it would be a terrible example for my daughter.  What to do?

I was saved by my sister.  We were talking about that very thing last weekend.  She has gone on a Paleo type eating regimen that disallows most carbs and dairy so she is in the same boat.  She found a recipe for "cauliflower rice."  Basically, you chop up cauliflower really fine then saute it in a pan with a little olive oil.  It is a blank canvas.  You could add all kinds of flavors: sesame oil for Asian, curry powder, parmesan cheese.  It could be a foil for all your stew or braise type recipes.  My daughter sucked it up without any prompting (amazing) but my husband was freaked out by the texture.  That's okay though... more for us!

Short Ribs
Serves 4

2.5 lbs short ribs (not flanken cut)
Olive oil
Olive oil spray
1 large onion, chopped into 1" chunks
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
3 TB red wine vinegar
1 cup dry, red wine
1 14oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
Cauliflower "Rice"

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat a tsp or two of olive oil in a oven-proof dutch oven over medium high heat.  Sear all 3 meat sides of the short ribs until they are crusty and brown.  Remove the ribs to a plate.  Pour off all the fat from the dutch oven, leaving nothing but some brown bits in the bottom.  Spray some olive oil spray onto the bottom to grease it up just a little bit before dumping in the chopped onion.  Toss those around until they turn translucent.  Dump in the carrots, garlic and herbs.  Continue to toss them around until the carrots are just barely starting to soften and the brown bits have come up off the bottom of the pan.

Pour in the vinegar.  Toss around until all the vegetables are covered and the vinegar is almost evaporated.  Pour in the red wine.  Simmer for 5 minutes until the wine reduces a little  Pour in the tomatoes, incorporating all the ingredients.  Put the short ribs and accumulated juices back into the dutch oven.  Cover and place in the oven.  Check it after 2 hours.  The meat should be meltingly tender and falling off the bones.

This part is optional.  I made the short ribs early in the day.  After it was done in the oven I left it to cool.  After it got to almost room temperature, I lifted the meat and vegetables into a bowl, covered and refrigerated it.  I poured the sauce into a separate bowl and refrigerated that, too.  Before reheating, I was able to lift the fat from the top of the sauce, as short ribs are pretty fatty.  I find it hard to lift the fat off when it is still hot.  If you are worried about extra fat, you might consider this method.

Serve over cauliflower "rice."

Caufiflower Rice
Recipe from Paleo Plan
Serves 4 (I also used half the oil than in the original recipe)

1 head cauliflower
1 Tbs coconut or olive oil
Sea salt, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, curry, garlic or freshly ground black pepper(optional seasonings)

Place the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until it has a grainy rice-like consistency. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Saute the cauliflower in a medium hot saute pan with oil and any additional seasonings desired (sea salt, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, curry, or just freshly ground black pepper).

Couldn't be easier, more delicious or make a better base for my fall food!

1 comment: