Thursday, June 9, 2011

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day

No, seriously.  I would not jive you.  Yeah, yeah... "they" have been telling us (they starting with your mother) that we need to eat a good breakfast in order to have the most productive day.  Well, they weren't kidding.  Maybe mother did know best. 

I actually start the morning with a good multi-vitamin.  If I have been dragging ass, I'll take another one in the afternoon for a few days.  Just in case.  I eat my breakfast about an hour or two after I wake up.  If I eat too early by the time I really reach consciousness I have forgotten I already ate then I eat again.  Not a move that is conducive to weight loss.

Eating low carb poses a problem at breakfast time.  What are all the best breakfast foods?  BREADS AND POTATOES!  Toast, English muffins, cereal, pancakes, hash browns, French toast... oh God, I love French toast with bacon... wait, I digress.  Now that I no longer eat any of those things for breakfast I actually... have... more... energy.  Carbs give a sugar rush, a high that lasts a couple of hours.  That is why I used to crash and burn hard around the hour mark before lunch.  Protein and the few carbs you get from vegetables give energy but the energy is released more slowly, thereby preventing that nose dive into your keyboard late morning.

I have eggs for breakfast just about every morning.  Some might say, "Eggs are super high in fat and you will get cholesterol globules coming out your ears."  That is why I use an egg substitute.  You can find several types by the regular eggs.  I just use my grocery store's house brand.  Its actually not a substitute at all... its egg white.  I saute some chicken sausage or an ounce of thinly sliced dry salami with a quarter cup of chopped onions, throw in some sliced mushrooms and a handful of thinly sliced chard or spinach.  Once the vegetables are mostly cooked I drizzle in the egg substitute and let it cook, like a frittata.  Then I sprinkle on a third of a cup of low-fat shredded cheddar.  Let it melt and VOILA, Bob's your uncle and you have a delicious, filling breakfast for about 350 calories and about 13 carbs.

Eat your breakfast!  Believe me, it helps.  I mean 4 bazillion mothers can't be wrong, can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment